Saturday, July 14, 2007

On Friends and Fiestaware

A few weeks ago I met up with a friend who decided to travel to the big A-T-L for her and her fiancee's birthdays. Over 3 years have passed since we'd seen each other but, as so often happens with good friends, within mere seconds we were back to talking as though no time had passed. It was wonderful - gabbing about jobs, wedding planning and running (she was my long-distance training buddy for the marathon I ran before my 30th birthday). But there was also a tiny part of me that was so very sad - I realized just how much I missed her in my life and how much time had gone by without seeing this good friend with whom I share so much in common.

At some point in the evening the discussion turned to one of my favorite things in the world: Fiestaware. I fell in love with the multi-colored plates years ago when a neighbor ordered them through the JC Penney catalog; I watched as she opened the boxes and pulled out color after color: pink, yellow, blue, orange... I was smitten.

When registering for our wedding, I knew I wanted Fiestaware but, my husband wasn't so keen on the idea of multi-colored plates. We went back and forth - first two colors, then three and finally we settled on four colors: persimmon, cobalt, sunflower and white.

I was excited to finally get my Fiestaware but felt somewhat incomplete with only getting four colors - it is my firm belief that, although awesome even in four colors, Fiestaware really shines when there are tons of colors littering the cabinet. I yearned for the additional colors. "Look baby, Fiestaware! See how great the colors look all stacked up together?" I'd say when seeing it stacked up at restaurants. And although I pined for all of the colors, it was the turquoise that I wanted with a burning desire.

The turquoise Fiestware is that perfect shade of turquoise - it reminds me of my grandparents' kitchen complete with original (which with the latest trends could now be dubbed 'retro') 50's style cabinets and terrazzo floor. I kick myself for not getting it as part of our registry and the turquoise dishes have remained on my wish list for just about every occasion for the past 5-plus years.

While dining with my friend Anna, we discussed her choice of colors: tangerine instead of persimmon, no rose, and definitely my beloved turquoise. "By the way, they're retiring the turquoise," she commented in passing.

My throat began to close up and my mouth became dry. "What? Retiring? Turquoise?"

I reached for my blackberry eager to verify this rumor and, if proven valid, to immediately order my dishes. Unable to find any discussion of my favorite color being discontinued, I gave up on adding one more color to my collection - that is, until a few weeks later.

Last weekend, I played on my laptop while my husband watched SportsCenter for the 30th time that day. Hearing the click-click of my keys, my husband looked up to take a momentary break from the trance of Stuart. "Did you order that turquoise Fiestaware yet? You'd better get it now before it's discontinued." And that was it - back to his daily Stuart sermon.

I practically dove for my wallet and, before the next commercial break, my fingers, so adept at typing in the Homer Laughlin website address, had already ordered my very own 16-piece set.

And to you Anna - I'm eternally grateful.

6 comments:

Sonja said...

The turquoise is to die for! I've been eyeing Fiestaware for years... perhaps now is the time to buy some for myself? In turquoise, of course...

Anonymous said...

Oh, no. My husband is in so much trouble! Growing up, my mom had like two pieces of Fiestware that she had gotten from her mom. I loved them. She had the green pitcher. Now I am lusting after the scarlett and the sunflower, well, EVERYTHING! I think I will be buying some...

Anonymous said...

check out collegiate licensed Fiestaware at www.touchdowntableware.com

Georgia, Penn State , Marshall, Stanford, Ohio State and looking to add Notre Dame , Florida, and Virginia Tech for fall 2008. You will love adding your favorite school logo to your collection .


Bob Antion
Star City, WV

Anonymous said...

Carson Pirie Scott department stores in Illinois sell turquoise 5 piece sets. I love that color; it was the color of my mother's kitchen in the 1950's on up, and she had that color among her Fiesta ware, too.

matthew hayden said...

t was the turquoise that I wanted with a burning desire. really your blog is so nice
Fiestaware Dishes

Anonymous said...

I am curious to find out what blog system you're using? I'm experiencing some minor security problems with my latest website and I would like
to find something more secure. Do you have any
solutions?
my webpage: usa bank account with atm card