Saturday, July 7, 2007

The Proverbial End of the Tunnel Light

To say that life has been busy would be an understatement - big things going on in all areas of my life and some big changes have certainly made things fun. Slowly I'm regaining my footing: getting more than 3 hours of sleep a night, making my way through the magazines that have piled up in the corner beckoning me to pour a glass of wine and spend my evening pouring through them, and making it outside to enjoy for some long exhilarating summer runs.

And, although my sewing machine has been lonely for the past few weeks, at least I've managed to play in my craft room a bit. Inspired by the beautiful lights at Bright Light Little City, a few weeks ago I decided to try my hand at making my own cocktail parasol lamp.

I loved the warm light the, well, warm-colored umbrellas cast so I unfolded what felt like hundreds of the infamous tiny yellow, orange and red cocktail accessories and, on a Sunday afternoon, between laundry and grocery shopping, found time to glue them to a self-adhesive lampshade.

I'm not going to lie - it's not perfect. There are spots of white where I failed to completely cover the shade (especially toward the bottom when I ran out of yellow) and I found the glue difficult to work with. But, at the end of the day, when I flip the switch, I'm pretty darn excited with my new project.

Now if I could just find some time to use that sewing machine of mine...

0 comments: